CRAFT Science outline
Creative (How) Relevant (How) Audience (Who) Format (What) Take home message (why)
7 primary story themes
1) Overcoming the Monster; 2) Rags to Riches; 3) The Quest; 4) Voyage and Return; 5) Comedy; 6) Tragedy; and 7) Rebirth.
Frame Theory: how to frame your conflict
- social progress
- economic development
- moral or ethical right
- scientific uncertainty
- Pandora’s box
- public accountability
- middle way
- conflict strategy
- Set the message
- define a clear and distinct take home message
- Set the frame of the story
- decide on one or two Frames from which you will describe your narrative. What emotional process are you trying to appeal to.
- Story theme
- The theme describe the progress of the narrative. Overcoming the monster is a common one in science because the problem can be set as the monster.
- Building emotional ties
- What are the actions that take place, where are there, who is involved
- What people are connected, is the feature your studying a character
- try to tie this to a Socio-Scientific Issues(SSI) because it’s likely the audience has a perspective on it and therefore has
- How can the characters or the audience play a role in the process.
- Checking back with CRAFT. If we take a look at the process so far we’ve address quite a few of the aspects of CRAFT.
Audience is a group ranging from professionals to students who are interested in GIS and probably know very little about CWRs. I know this from knowing the venue that I’m presenting at.
Take home message
Take home message is loud and clear. There is a challenge and geospatial knowledge is needed.
This will be presentation but I’m building it around a story of a well know crop. I’m framing in around the SSI of genetic modification and suggesting a right and less dramatic alternative to the current process.
This is really about the future of food and how folks in this audience can help. At the end I tie there skills to part of the solution.
There is a lot of room for growth in this area but it’s a start. As the presentation comes together I think there will be a lot of opportunity to make it something more creative. Specifically showing visualizations of the problem at hand.